Friday, March 29, 2013

Ten-Friendly Tell Me Fast Cards and {FREEBIE}

As part of our number sense routines at the beginning of our math time, I have been using Tell Me Fast cards to help students with subitizing.  Knowing that being able to make 10 is an important skill for future grades, I created these ten-friendly tell me fast cards.  I use them as a Power Point, but you could print them out and show them to small or large groups of students.  Here are some pictures below.




My goal is for the students to take some of the dots on the second ten frame and combine them with the first ten frame to fill in the ten.  Then students count the extras and add this to the ten.  So for the one above, students would take 2 on the ten frame on the left and bring them over to fill in the ten frame to make 10 and then see that there are 2 extras, so there are 12 all together.  It's great to use with Common Core K NBT1 because it helps them see that the teen numbers are 10 and some extra ones.  It's also reinforces  K OA4 because they are making combinations of ten first. This helps them build understanding of 10-friendly combinations which will help with double digit addition later on.  Get the freebie here.

3 comments:

  1. Karla- I love this idea! This will certainly help build bridges to make that connection to double digit addition. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! Thank you for joining my blog! I am so glad you did! You have wonderful ideas and I am your newest follower...I am excited I found you!

    Beth :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Karla! I found you on a TPT forum...and I am your newest follower! :) I can't wait to check out some of your posts!!

    Katie
    Mind Sparks

    ReplyDelete