Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Count Around the Circle

I just recently discovered the book Number Sense Routines by Jessica Shumway and I am loving it!!! I am getting so many great ideas and information and I am only in Chapter 3.  One of the things I am excited about doing today when my Kinders come back is Count Around the Circle. It will be a great addition to my math time.  We will sit in a circle around our meeting area carpet.  I am going to have to start really basic and just count by ones at first.  One student begins and you count around the circle- each student saying the next number in the sequence.  I see all sorts of great things coming from this- and it's a good informal assessment of a student's understanding of counting sequence. Plus, it's a nice new routine for us.  Our math calendar time is getting kind of stale and boring (for me especially) and I am always looking for new ideas to perk things up during math.  I think Counting Around the Circle will definitely do it!  What number routines do you have in your classroom that you LOVE?

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't done that in awhile! I need to do it again! My kiddos love that!

    Kimberly Ann
    Live, Laugh, I love Kindergarten

    ReplyDelete