Friday, April 13, 2012

What's the problem?

This week, I discovered something fabulous for math.  I got the idea from Deanna Jump's Spring Math Journals.  You give the kiddos the answer and they come up with the problem.  We didn't use one of hers (although they are fabulous and I highly recommend them). Here's the link to her product. http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Math-Journal-Prompts-Spring-Edition

Instead we did one with our fairy tale this week, Jack and the Beanstalk.  I gave them the answer and I took their ideas of what the number sentence could be that would make the answer of 6 magic beans.  Then I choose one (8-2=6) and they talked with their "elbow partner" about what the word problem could be.  I took all their ideas and chose one and wrote it down.  They LOVED it and can't wait to try another one!

No comments:

Post a Comment