Wednesday, December 24, 2014

Civil War Interactive Notebook

     I missed out on the beginnings of the interactive notebook craze.  But, it's not too late to jump on the bandwagon is it?  I am a little nervous about my first interactive notebook activity.  It's about the Civil War.  We teach it in 3rd grade in Arizona, but really only have two standards to teach. Recognize that there were issues associated with the Civil War (slavery, states' rights, South seceded from the Union) and Discuss contributions of people during the Civil War (Abraham Lincoln, Ulysses S. Grant, Harriet Tubman, Sojourner Truth, Frederick Douglass).  Pretty basic, right?
     Except that our social studies textbook is all about Communities and has NOTHING about the Civil War... so, once again, I am forced to create something in order to teach what I am required to teach. (See previous post LOL- no soapbox today).  
     So, I decided to jump on the Interactive Notebook bandwagon and try my hand at creating activities that I can use to reinforce things I will teach.  It's my first try at it, so be nice.  It's a freebie on TpT Civil War Mini-Interactive Notebook.  It has 5 different activities.  The first one focuses on characteristics of the North and South prior to the Civil War.  The second one lists 5 main "issues" that were key to the conflicts.  The third activity is a map of what the U.S. looked like prior to the Civil War.  The 4th activity is a cause and effect about secession.  And the last activity focuses on important people.  I think I hit both standards with these five activities. YAH! Here are some pictures of what the final product looks like. ( I apologize for the one sideways picture...)
     Look for more interactive notebook stuff coming soon- they are FUN to create!  I think I'm hooked.  














No comments:

Post a Comment