Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Civil War Informational Text

One of our Arizona standards for Social Studies for third grade is "Discuss contributions of people during the Civil War (Abraham Lincoln, Ulyssess S. Grant, Harriet Tubman, Sojourner Truth, Frederick Douglass)".  As I've said in previous posts, our social studies book is all about Communities.  So, in order to teach this standard, I either need to create something, buy something, or just ignore the standard completely since it's just social studies.  I can't find any informational text on TpT about these specific people written at a level my 3rd graders can understand, so I decided to write it myself. I chose everyone on the list except Lincoln, and I included Robert E. Lee as well because I thought he was interesting.  I figured there were enough books written about Lincoln that I can use those, and we talk about him every year for President's Day.  Here are some pictures.






You can get the freebie here.  It goes nicely with the Civil War Interactive Notebook that's also a freebie on TpT.

No comments:

Post a Comment