Saturday, October 13, 2012

There was an old lady who swallowed a bat!

One of our big standards for 2nd quarter is RL2 With prompting and support, retell familiar stories including key details. There are so many fabulous Halloween books to do this with!  Here's a freebie I created to go with the fun book There Was an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Bat!.  It includes sentences and picture cards to go with the story.  I plan to use them in a pocket chart to sequence.  Another standards we teach this quarter is L1b Use frequently occuring nouns and verbs.  Well, this story is great for nouns and verbs for Halloween.  I made word cards that have most of the verbs from the story.  I plan to have the students match the verb with the noun that goes with it. This will help with retelling the story, but it also brings the students attention to nouns and verbs.  Also included in the freebie are larger pictures.  I plan to print and laminate them and stick a piece of magnetic tape on the back.  Then they become a great reading center where students can retell the story on a magnetic board (I use the front of my teacher's desk).  Hope this is something you can use!


1 comment: