Sunday, June 3, 2018

Think Like a Disciplinarian

I have been working VERY hard to recreate the black and white think like a disciplinarian (TLAD) pictures our GT trainer gave us.  I've been searching TpT for the perfect clip art and I finally have a set that I am very happy with.  I want to give a HUGE thank you to Ron Leishman at Digital Toonage for helping me!  He's amazing.  I sent him a message asking for some specific fields like entrepreneur, statistician, historian and physicist and he did an AMAZING job!  I highly recommend his work to anyone and he's super accommodating! These poster have two versions- one with a  small paragraph explaining the field and one without.  Print them on cardstock and laminate and you will be able to use them in so many different ways.  Teaching just math last year, I was not able to use them as much as I wanted to but each time we did a PBL, I was able to incorporate disciplinarian work. For example, in the fall when we did a project about designing a fall festival students learned about entrepreneurs, graphic designers, sociologists and environmentalists. Throughout the project, each of those disciplinarians had specific things that were relevant to them. The entrepreneur was concerned about choosing booths that made the most profit. The environmentalist was concerned about booths that adversely affected the environment. The graphic designer was concerned about making the best logo and brochure. And the sociologist was interested in setting up the festival so there was enough time and space for human interactions. Another project I did at the end of the year- the classroom makeover- also incorporated TLAD. I will describe that more in an additional post.
My ELA teammate used disciplinarians when reading novels with students. She had students thinking like a veterinarian while reading Because of Winn Dixie and thinking like an engineer when reading City of Ember. There are SO many uses for thinking like a disciplinarian!  Here are a few samples from my product. Here's a link to the product here




No comments:

Post a Comment