Sunday, April 13, 2014

Response to Literature with Fairy Tales

Kinders can offer opinions all day long. "I like it because it's good."  "I like it because it's funny."  I've read those sentences so many times.  But it's more difficult for them to offer evidence to support their opinions.  I decided to do this type of writing with fairy tales.  We use proficiency scales for our writing and our team created this one for response to literature.

We began by reading Goldilocks and the Three Bears.  It was the James Marshall version and there are some funny parts.  We decided our beginning sentence would be "Goldilocks and the Three Bears is a funny book."  Then we made a circle map where I asked them to support that statement with evidence from the text- what parts were funny?  Then they used our beginning sentences or one of their own and our circle map (or their own ideas) to support their opinion. Here are some samples.
 I think Goldilocks and the Three Bears is a funny book.  I liked when she jumped out the window.  Goldilocks rocked and rocked the chair got broken.
 Goldilocks and the Three Bears is funny.  The book was funny because she jumped out the window.  The book was funny because she broke the chair.
Goldilocks and the Three Bears is funny.  Goldilocks was funny when she jumped out the window.  Goldilocks was funny when she got squooshed in the soft chair.

Here's a link to my freebie on TpT that includes writing sheets for six different fairy tales as well as two different versions of proficiency scales for response to literature.


No comments:

Post a Comment